At Karratha Senior High School Chinese is offered as an elective to lower school students (Year 7-10) wishing to learn an additional language.
Language learning enables all students to communicate in a language other than English by providing students with essential communication skills in that language, an intercultural capability, and an understanding of the role of language and culture in human communication. Language learning broadens students’ horizons to include the personal, social, and employment opportunities that an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world presents.
The Chinese Second Language program is organised into two interrelated strands: Communicating and Understanding.
Languages aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to ensure that students:
- communicate in Chinese
- extend their literacy repertoires
- develop understanding of and respect for diversity and difference, and an openness to different experiences and perspectives
- develop an understanding of how culture shapes worldviews and extend their understanding of themselves, their own heritage, values, culture and identity
- strengthen their intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities, and enhance their creative and critical thinking skills
- understand themselves as communicators.
For further information, please visit the following websites: